Things You Can Do For Ferguson:
- Donate money to have those arrested in Ferguson released on bail. These people belong on the streets, especially at a time like this.
- Send a note of condolence to the family of Michael Brown. Let’s not forget the tragedy that started this.
- Donate to the Michael Brown Memorial Fund. This is an official fundraiser run by the Brown family’s lawyers. They are going through so much, lets make sure at the very least it isn’t a financial burden.
- Help get people on the ground. There are activists and reporters who want to do their part and get to Ferguson. Donate and get them there. I am so far aware of Zellie Imani, Zak Jemmott, and JR Valrey (a reporter for SF Bay View).
- Donate to the Ferguson Youth Initiative.The children of this community deserve better than to be gunned down. Make sure they get that in the future.
- Feed the children of Ferguson. Many children in America rely on school to get their meals and thanks to the civil unrest caused by the police, the children of Ferguson have been without school since Monday. These people want to make sure that doesn’t mean anyone is going hungry.
- Donate to the protestors. There is not much oversight here as it is just a personal email address you’re sending funds too here but it appears to be legitimate and there are certainly people on the ground who could use the help.
- Donate to the businesses of Ferguson. Small business owners in the community are struggling as people are either protesting or trying to stay off the streets. Don’t let the police brutality going on ravage this community long term.
- Plan a protest or action in your own community. Look around, see if one has been scheduled. If not, consider starting one. If you do I recommend following these tips.
- Keep awareness up. Not just among the like-minded people on tumblr, this is something everyone needs to be aware of.
- Spread accurate information. There is a lot of distortion going on here and spreading every piece of information as it is reported only makes that worse. First and foremost make sure you are listening carefully, then share what is important and relevant.
If you are aware of any good causes or ways to help that I have missed, please reblog and add them.
Please spread the most up to date version of this post.
I keep on thinking of all the weird/stupid stuff I said at work today. I don’t know if its just because I’m more anxious since my mum went to Ireland today to visit a sick relative or if what I said was just more weird than usual.
People were talking about the Simpsons and someone mentioned having a VHS and I said my parents bought me and my brother the Simpsons too hot for tv VHS which had an episode with Marge and homer having sex in various places and how inappropriate it was since I was like 7. Then one of them gave the other a weird look and I think they thought my parents bought us a Simpson’s porno…
Explaining that has actually made me realise how silly it is to be worried about that. Like thinking someone’s parents bought a VHS of a Simpsons porno is way more weird than what I said.